Join Us >
Embedded Software Engineer
Spore Lab is a software development consultancy on a mission to help create products based on new and substantially helpful applications of computing device technology. We are currently a small team, but we have a big desire to find the right people to help us do more.
We are looking for an experienced embedded Linux software engineer to join us here in Christchurch. In this role you’ll work with us on a range of varied and challenging electronic device products for both customers here in New Zealand and around the world, while also over time helping us shape and pursue our own internal R&D.
As an embedded software team member you will be responsible for development at all levels of software required to create highly reliable and usable devices, from handling initial board bring-up to developing original task-specific applications.
In addition to your strong embedded Linux software skills, if you also consider yourself somewhat of a generalist you’ll be the perfect fit, as joining a small team means that you’ll get the opportunity to utilize a broad range of skills. You’ll also need to be up to working well both within the team as well as effectively managing your time & work direction. Given our strong focus on creating exceptional client value, you’ll need to be someone who cares strongly about both high quality and what really matters to our customers.
While a good knowledge of computing hardware commonly found in products running Linux is critical, an interest in smaller embedded devices would also be useful. Additionally, interest and experience in everything related to IoT would most definitely be helpful. A solid experience base is a must, but of course a keenness to learn more is just as important.
See here to find out more about what it’s like working at Spore Lab.
- Strong all-round embedded Linux ability, from low-level hardware support to application development and overall system construction.
- Strong knowledge of application processor level embedded systems hardware.
- Advanced all-round C programming ability.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
Any of the following would also be valuable:
- Embedded application development experience on RTOS platforms (ARM microprocessors).
- Wireless technology (WiFi, Bluetooth etc) experience.
- Video (image) data processing experience.
- Low-level Android (system & drivers) experience.
- Interest and experience in IoT system development.
- Interest and experience in web application development.
- Interest and experience in mobile application development.
- Linux server maintenance experience.
Joining our team would be a great chance to use your skills to immediately contribute to the development of devices shipping to thousands of people around the world, and to also be part of something new - helping shape our company in the long term.
If you’re interested in joining a hard working team that is highly motivated but also down to earth and who enjoy a balanced lifestyle, please get in touch.